Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tank


(click image to enlarge)

Just goofing around trying some new brushes and new techniques. When I first started painting in Photoshop, I wanted to replicate the feel of traditional media as closely as possible, partly because that's the look I wanted for the Captain America covers I've been painting, but also because some digital paintings look sterile and artificial to me. However, there are things that Photoshop can do that can't be done any other way. I've been consciously avoiding these digital techniques on most of the published work, but I'm doing more and more of them in the speedpaints.

I'm not sure where (if anywhere) this may lead, but I'm having fun experimenting.

By the way, I didn't reference any tank when painting this. It's completely made up, so try not to laugh too hard at how impractical or stupid it looks.:)

2 comments:

Alan said...

Notwithstanding the technical naivety of the tank (what would I know, mind you), what impresses me about these speedpaints is the credible, realistic quality of the light achieved; and the textures

Steve Epting said...

LOL! "Technical naivety" is a great way to describe it Alan!

As I was painting this thing, I considered going online to reference some actual tanks, but it really wasn't meant to be anything but a fun diversion, so I didn't really see the point. Then I had the brilliant idea to pretend it was some sort of cliche post-apocalyptic scene and that someone had tricked out an old tank with random video screens and inexplicable undercarriage lights. :)

Thanks though for the comments about the lighting and textures. The main reason I do these things is to work on stuff like that.